Tuesday, April 19, 2011

1,000 Paper Cranes for Japan


I’m convinced that people who feel like they don’t belong can become human bridges to enhance insight and understanding. The following interview with a Georgia public school teacher, Kyung Shin, discusses how she and her students responded to recent events in Japan. As a result of their 1,000 Paper Cranes for Japan campaign, over $1,000 was raised for Japan’s relief efforts. Sure, some of you could’ve written a check for as much, but this was a process of learning for the students—and for their teacher, one of forgiveness and reconciliation.
Why 1,000 paper cranes? In Japanese folklore, if you fold a thousand paper cranes, whatever you wish will come true.
Natural disasters happen frequently around the world. Can you talk about why Japan's tsunami-and-earthquake in particular resonated with you?
I had lived in Japan as a child (before moving to the United States at age 10).  I am Korean by heritage but still identify with Japanese culture, and I can speak the language. My dad and his wife currently reside in Tokyo. Most of my maternal relatives also live in Japan, primarily in the Kobe/Osaka region. 
I struggled with my identity as a Korean growing up in Japan, because my childhood wasn’t always so easy. (In 1910, Japan annexed Korea and many Koreans were brought over to Japan for forced labor. As a result, Koreans are still not accepted as equal citizens of Japan). As an adult, I have hurtful memories of discrimination and prejudice. 
Maybe this was a personal act of reconciliation: the tsunami/earthquake disaster opened my heart towards the Japanese.  I saw how desperately they need help, and realized that because I have this background of having been born and raised in Japan, I can act as an intermediary between the people here and those in Japan. So I acted on my conviction, compassion, and also heart for the Japanese, and launched the 1,000 Paper Cranes for Japan campaign at my school. 
What have you learned as a result of this effort?
Early in our campaign I did not believe my students could actually fold all 1,000 cranes because origami is not so easy for elementary students—but lo and behold, we did it! 
I think we made our goal because the children were motivated and very invested in this project, to help and to be compassionate. They understood why we were folding the cranes for Japan. We all learned a lesson of giving and compassion.  I’m humbled by the students’ response since many of our students come from communities in need of help themselves. 
What do you want others to know about 1,000 Paper Cranes for Japan?
We can make a difference, no matter how small our efforts may appear in the big scheme of things. We can influence and encourage others to do the same.  Also, for me personally, as we help others heal from their tragedies, we receive healing in return.
Your father flew out of Tokyo shortly before the tsunami and earthquake, then returned a week later to help his community. How’s he doing? What does he say about the situation?
My father is doing well, thanks. He says that the constant aftershocks leave him edgy and anxious but overall, life is normal (at least in Tokyo). Like everyone else in Japan, he is worried about the radiation. My dad is the pastor of a small congregation right outside of Tokyo and he and his wife are reaching out to the community with words of encouragement through the Gospel. He feels that this is what he could do best as a pastor, to love his community and bless them.


No comments:

Post a Comment